(but not the only one)
- Privacy Wiki is organized around the Solove Taxonomy which breaks privacy into four broad categories ( information processing, information dissemination, collection, and invasion) and sixteen individual harms (or privacy violations). It currently includes United States Federal Laws as well as over three hundred State Laws. In addition to laws and regulations, you can find copious news stories of every type of privacy harm under the taxonomy.
- Daniel Solove's taxonomy is the most comprehensive framework for privacy. His framework derived four categories of privacy harms:
To learn more about Solove Taxonomy, please visit our most impressive Taxonomy page.
- Privacy Wiki indicates laws and regulations using categories of personal information. The following are categories of information relating to an individual, whether it relates to their private, professional or public life. Categories are not exclusive. Data may transcend multiple information categories:
|Knowledge & Belief||Sexual||Location||Public Life||Transactional|
|Medical and Health||Communication|
To learn more about Personal Information, please visit Personal Information page.
United States Privacy Laws
- ILL. HB 2189. The Genetic Information Privacy Act.
- Ch. 52 Consumer Data Protection Act
- (410 ILCS § 513/). Genetic Information Privacy Act
- (815 ILCS. § 510/). Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- (815 ILCS § 530/10). Notice of breach; notice to Attorney General.
- (815 ILCS 530/) Personal Information Protection Act.
- (740 ILCS § 14/). Biometric Information Privacy Act.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- Bank Secrecy Act
While most state laws that touch on privacy issues are already in the Wiki, volunteers will keep the states current.
- To learn more about how to join the Privacy Wiki as State Editors, please reach out to our Chief Legal Editor. We are excited to see you as a Legal State Editor in the Wiki!
We hope to expand into other jurisdictions (such as the EU) in the near future!
- We also have a privacy wiki discussion group! Please go to Privacy Wiki Discussion Group to join. This discussion group is used to ask questions, ask for help (e.g. if you're an editor), share ideas, e.g. on best practices for editing the Wiki.
For inquiries, please contact us.