This is the coolest Wiki dedicated to Privacy!
(but not the only one)
This Wiki is organized around the Solove Taxonomy which breaks privacy into four broad categories ( information processing, information dissemination, collection, and invasion) and sixteen individual harms (or privacy violations). It currently includes United States Federal Laws as well as over three hundred State Laws. In addition to laws and regulations, you can find copious news stories of every type of privacy harm under the taxonomy.
Daniel Solove's taxonomy is the most comprehensive framework for privacy. His framework derived four categories of privacy harms:
To learn more about Solove Taxonomy, please visit our most impressive Taxonomy page: Taxonomy
United States Privacy Laws
- McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act
- Junk Fax Prevention Act
- Judicial Redress Act of 2015
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004
- Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act of 1998
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
- Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act
- Gramm Leach Bliley Act
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
While most state laws that touch on privacy issues are already in the Wiki, volunteers will keep the states current.
We hope to expand into other jurisdictions (such as the EU) in the near future!
We also have a privacy wiki discussion group! Please go to http://lists.privacy.wiki/listinfo.cgi/privacywiki-privacy.wiki to join. This discussion group is used to ask questions, ask for help (e.g. if you're an editor), share ideas, e.g. on best practices for editing the Wiki.
For inquiries, please contact us.